As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In today’s world, we see architects and designers implement LED strip lights in almost all types of setups. Be it residential, commercial, or even industrial, LED strip lights are a new favorite for professional lighting. But if you are about their lifespan, let’s discuss how long do LED strip lights last.
- How Long Do LED Strip Lights Last?
- Outdoor LED Strip Light Maintenance
- Dos And Don’ts
- Best Use Of LED Strips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Recommended Articles
How Long Do LED Strip Lights Last?
LED lights boast a lifetime of 50,000 hours, and LED strip lights to last up to an average of 35000 to 40000 hours. One of the most significant reasons for them having a huge demand in the market is their flexibility and color versatility.
Lifespan Of LED Lights
- The advantage of LEDs over incandescent bulbs is that they fade slowly over time before they burn out.
- In contrast, incandescent light bulbs either give 100% light, or they burn out, which is what differentiates their lifespans.
- LED bulbs have a lifespan based on lumen maintenance. L50 and L70 are the most common measurements used for lumen maintenance.
What’s Better: LEDS Or Incandescent Light Bulbs?
- LEDs have a longer lifespan than incandescent light bulbs, even though they use the same electricity source.
- The difference lies in the fact that LED bulbs contain a diode that contains excitable electrons within. As electricity flows through them, they release photons which create light.
- Incandescent light bulbs have filaments inside, which are made to glow when electricity passes. It heats up, becoming brittle. Breaking of the filament makes the light burn out.
Outdoor Durability Of LED Strip Lights
LED strip lights or ropes last for about 50,000 hours, making about five years and a half if you leave them on 24×7.
Here is a short video about the lifespan of LED strip lights.
Outdoor LED Strip Light Maintenance
Trimming The Bushes
For maintaining outdoor lighting, the overgrown plants or bushes should be paid special attention to. They might crush the fine lighting due to overgrowth.
Keep the plants trimmed, so they don’t guard the lights. It is essential for the prevention of damage to the light fixture besides exceeding its lifespan.
To expand the lifespan of outdoor lights, regular cleaning is a must. Dirt and debris can get inside and disrupt the LED functioning.
You must consider cleaning off mud, trimming off leaves, spider webs, or insects if you decorate your garden with LED lights.
You MUST address any problems with the wiring or connection immediately if you wish to restore the stability and efficiency of LED lights.
Be the problem regarding connection, dimness, or you aren’t sure what the problem is, you can call the company or your nearby electrician to look into the issue.
LEDs are not water-resistant, although a few minutes of waterproofing can save them some years of lifespan.
Dos And Don’ts
Exposing To Heat
LEDs are extremely heat sensitive; hence they work much worse in higher temperatures. This fact should be remembered while positioning.
The circuit will have a faster breakdown if they are overloaded or not protected from high temperature (e.g., outdoor or near a fireplace.)
You should pay attention to the wattage to ensure the correct use of LEDs. For example, if you use a 60-watt bulb in a fixture made to provide 100-watts, the bulb will not last long, and the chances of breaking down will be high.
These factors are essential for exceeding longevity.
Leaving LED Lights On
It is Not a wrong choice; however, it also carries the risk of fires or damage to fixtures. In addition, the heat produced can damage the bulb’s circuit or reduce the lifespan.
Best Use Of LED Strips
- LED strip lights are soft theme/mood-setting lights used for creative room decorations. You can use them for outline lighting in your ceilings, walls, gaming parlors to make them look attractive.
- These are also used for outdoor elegance and extravagance. People are highly not recommended to read in this lighting.
- Being famously used for DIY wall decors, it has gained massive popularity among teenagers. It is affordable, flexible, and tackle-free hence widely used.
- Besides providing a gorgeous aesthetic vibe, it is also discovered to have brought down crime rates by 39%, specifically at night.
Do LED Lights Help The Environment?
Yes, LED lights are environmentally friendly. LEDs consume very little energy when compared to halogen and incandescent equivalents.
You can replace a 100W incandescent bulb with a 10W LED and still enjoy the same light output level while reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
In addition, LEDs don’t contain toxic chemicals like mercury; hence don’t contaminate the environment when disposed of, unlike fluorescent.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Kinds Of LED Strip Lights?
There are four broad kinds of LED strip lights. AC LED strip, DC LED strip, LED rope, and High Output LED strip.
How To Install LED Strip Lights?
It is pretty easy to install LED strip lights. Most LED strips come with self-adhesive back tape, whereas some come without. You can tape them using both-sided tape.
You should clean the installation is well with a methylated spirit to avoid dust, moisture, or grease. Moreover, ensure that the power supply does not have any electrical failures, circuit breakdowns, or burns resulting from a high voltage supply.
What To Remember When Purchasing LED Strip Lights?
One of the primary aspects of buying LED strip lights is the length—the higher number of LEDs per length, the brighter and better the output. Wider-spaced LEDs give much of a spottier outlook than those with less-spaced LEDs, giving a continuous line of light. But it’s easier to choose once you have a clear purpose that needs to be served.
What Is Lumens In LED Lights?
You also need to consider the lumens. The measure of brightness or lumen matters depending on what you’ll use the LED strip lights for. Accordingly, the price and electricity use will also vary.
LED strip lights are somewhat fragile to handle. On the other hand, they have several advantages for which they are still trendy. Taking good care and careful handling can assure a long service lifespan.