If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Are your cats marking every corner of your lovely home with urine? Do you feel like you tend to miss a spot when it’s time to clean the floors or carpets? You can beat the unseen enemy using UV light or a urine detector.
Blacklights serve a number of purposes. From spotting cat urine and bodily fluids in a dark area to relieving mood disorders and lighting up parties, they play a significant role in many aspects of our lives. However, the search may be hard for someone who isn’t familiar with how to work with UV light.
In this article, we discuss the best blacklight for urine stains available, and you’ll see why it’s a good idea to consult trustworthy sources before buying a urine detector.
Despite its unpleasant smell, it can be quite hard to find cat urine when it’s splashed on your rugs or other surfaces. But UV light in a urine detector can help out in such situations.
When it’s shone on the affected material in the dark, the blacklight flashlight of a urine detector can cause the urine and bodily fluids stains to glow yellow or green. Blacklights are a great solution for spotting them because they fluoresce in the dark when exposed to UV light.
- Best Overall Blacklight for Cat Urine: KOBRA UV Black Light
- Best Blacklight for Cat Urine for the Money: Escolite Black Light
- Best Cheap Blacklight for Cat Urine: Vansky UV Flashlight
- Best Waterproof Blacklight for Cat Urine: LOFTEK UV Black Light
- Best Portable Blacklight for Cat Urine: Infray Pen Black Light
- Things to Consider When Buying Blacklight for Cat Urine
- How Blacklights Make Things Glow and Spot Cat Urine
- How to Use UV Blacklight to Find Cat Pee
- Finding Pet Urine Without a Blacklight
- Cleaning Up Pet Urine
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
Best Overall Blacklight for Cat Urine: KOBRA UV Black Light
- A TIME AND MONEY SAVER: This flashlight is a wise investment, as it will help you save thousands of...
- MORE THAN STAIN REMOVAL: Marvel in the wide applications of UV light! Pinpoint the origin of leaks...
- POWERFUL ILLUMINATION: No need to walk around aimlessly or break your back bent over carpets! Backed...
If your pet cat is a repeat offender of spraying urine stains on the floor or your beloved furniture, the KOBRA UV Black Light is a great urine detector that saves you the hassle from crawling over stinky carpets or touching dirty walls just to search for urine and stains.
Boasting 100 UV LED lights, this urine detector is among the most heavy-duty flashlights with a better illumination range and saturated hue. The urine detector features a wide beam that comes from the wavelength strength of 395nm, making both old and new pet urine stains glow visibly.
Compared to other similar products, you need six batteries to power this urine detector blacklight. While this may sound like a downside, this ensures you can use the urine detector for up to three hours instead of the usual one to two hours.
Likewise, this means you get to save thousands of dollars in the long run as you won’t need to have your carpets steam cleaned several times per year for fear of not seeing urine stains. With this urine detector blacklight, you can do such work by yourself at your most convenient time and without extra expenses.
As a bonus, you can use this urine detector to detect urine stains left by dogs and scorpions, as well as identify bed bugs and counterfeit money. What’s more, this cat urine detector blacklight comes with a one-year money-back guarantee if you’re dissatisfied with the output.
- Comes with 100 LED lights that can cover wide areas
- High-intensity beam ensures powerful illumination
- Requires six batteries
Best Blacklight for Cat Urine for the Money: Escolite Black Light
- 3 AA Standard Alkiline Battery(Not Included), Rechargeable battery is not recommended!
- 51 UV LED allow to cover a larger area.Emits 390 to 395 nanometer wavelength.
- Perfect for outside use such as finding scorpions and minerals!
When you want to clean after your cats, you need a UV light that allows you to focus on broad swathes and specific spots at intervals you decide. A handheld blacklight fits this bill, but many don’t as much as the Escolite Black Light.
Even if this blacklight only has 51 LED chips sitting behind its lens, it can emit 390-395nm wavelength lights when switched on through the button on its body. It has similar wavelength lights as the KOBRA UV Black Light pet urine detector.
Compared to the first pet urine detector, this torch relies on 3AA alkaline batteries for its power, which may last for up to 60 minutes. It doesn’t come with batteries like most black lights, so you’ll have to get them yourself. There’s also no option for using rechargeable batteries in their place.
The Escolite blacklight does a good job making armyworms and scorpions visible and as a pet urine detector, thanks to its strong glow-eliciting capability.
If your cat-pee-stained rug has fluorescence itself, it may be difficult to locate the exact point where the urine stain is situated. The blacklight works better when you use it as a pet urine detector for dry, barely visible, or invisible urine stains, but not so much for fresh, wet urine spills.
- 51 LED bulbs can cover a large area.
- Uses a robust aluminum-alloy body to ensure longevity.
- Does not work well for urine detection on dark colored carpets.
Best Cheap Blacklight for Cat Urine: Vansky UV Flashlight
- ☑️ Practicality -- Vansky UV flashlight black light is Perfect for Revealing Dry Dog, Cat and...
- ☑️ Detect Larger Area with Brighter Light -- This UV flashlight has 51 UV LEDs which is 30%...
- ☑️ Quality Assurance -- The Black Light Emits 395nm wavelength with 51 top quality flashlight,...
The Vansky Flashlight features 51 LED bulbs encased in its aluminum head. They give off a bluish UV light on the 395 wavelength, adequate for making fluorescent things glow in the dark. This kind of beam helps check and clean cat pee stains on curtains, furniture, carpets, or rugs.
Unlike the previous two above, this model comes with a cord at the base that you can use to hang it. It also has a switch for turning it on or off. The handle is robust and comfortable, and lets you have a firm grip. Besides, it has an ultra-compact design, making this model ideal for traveling.
Aside from its cheap price, you won’t need to splurge on batteries as you’ll only need 2 AAA batteries to power this model for 24 hours which is a long time compared to the Escolite Black Light.
There’s a vast range of uses to which you can put this tool: finding scorpions, discovering dry dog and cat urine, checking currency authenticity, and verifying the authenticity identity cards, a few.
The product description for this model says that it could last you 12 years. There’s also a 45-day money-back guarantee in case you get a broken package and a one-year guarantee for support and maintenance.
- Great pet urine and stain detection, showing every invisible fluid on a surface.
- 51 LED bulbs create a powerful illumination range.
- Doesn’t work well on wet cat urine.
- Requires AAA batteries
Best Waterproof Blacklight for Cat Urine: LOFTEK UV Black Light
- Powerful UV Blacklight Flashlight: Made from sturdy and high-quality aluminum and 51 LEDs with...
- Efficient Inspector & Multifunctional Tool: Hotel room inspection, reveal hidden pet stains fluids,...
- Large Wavelength & Widely Coverage: 51 powerful UV LED bulbs emit 395-nanometer wavelength, allow to...
When your cats leave urine stains and other kinds of fluids, it can be challenging to search for the exact size and location of the stains. With the LOFTEK UV Flashlight Blacklight you can clean your home and work on vanishing cat urine smell.
Just like the Vansky UV Flashlight, the LOFTEK Black Light also has a handheld cord for easy carry.
The curved aluminum surface of this blacklight’s handle slips into hands quite comfortably and lets you maintain a good grip much like the Escolite Blacklight. The sturdy body assures durability, just as much as the 51 LED lights enclosed behind the lens on the head.
There is a power button on its body, alongside a cover at the base which you’ll open when you want to insert or remove the batteries. Again, you’ll have to purchase these batteries yourself, as they don’t come with the blacklight.
This blacklight is said to have a lifespan nearing 100,000 hours. But the producers do hint that you’ll have to be cautious with your handling of the torch and batteries if you’re going to get the maximum performance out of it for the longest possible time.
Overall, the best blacklight you can have if you’re focused on waterproof properties. You normally don’t get waterproof features from blacklights so this one is a great option.
- Comes with 51 powerful UV lights for wide area coverage
- Portability allows you to check every corner of your home
- The battery compartment is a bit loose
Best Portable Blacklight for Cat Urine: Infray Pen Black Light
- 1. SMART-DESIGN: INFRAY Black light with adjustable focus system that allow to cover a larger area...
- 2. ULTRA COMPACT: INFRAY UV flashlight at 5.7 inches in length is designed as EDC black light to fit...
- 3. TOUGH & RELIABLE: IPX5 rainproof and MIL-SPEC abrasion and corrosion-resistant anodized aircraft...
There are times when you want to travel with your cats or visit another home. If you want to check and make sure you won’t leave cat pee stains anywhere you go, the Infray Pen Black Light can serve as your ultimate travel companion all the time.
With 51 LED bulbs and 395 nm for UV light wavelength, this black light can run for up to two hours using two batteries. It runs longer if you compare it to Escolite Black Light that can only run for an hour. This kind of blacklight allows you to search for fluids and stains at a distance of several feet.
Even if its price is a bit higher, what makes this flashlight unique compared to other blacklights on this list is that it features an adjustable focus system. It covers anywhere from a narrow to a large area. It also brags a rainproof and corrosion-resistant body.
While it may look way smaller compared with similar products, this black light flashlight produces UV light strong enough to accurately spot cat pee and other kinds of stains in a dark place.
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Zoom features let you focus on one object or illuminate a whole area
- High price tag
Things to Consider When Buying Blacklight for Cat Urine
Cats are notorious for marking territories using their urine. However, this can cause your home to become smelly all the time. With UV light, you can detect pet stains and fluids quickly.
The best blacklight for your cat urine can help you save time and money, and make your home clean and spotless. After seeing the top-rated products on the market, here are some things you want to consider before you purchase a blacklight.
Number of LED Lights
The number of individual bulbs of a blacklight is another crucial factor. A blacklight with more LED lights results in a more powerful UV light, making stains easily visible.
While 10 LED lights should be enough, the best blacklight for pet urine stains contains anywhere from 50 to 100 LED light bulbs. The number of LED lights may depend on the size of the area you need to clean or the price you’re willing to pay.
The KOBRA UV Blacklight easily stands top from this feature alone. It boasts on hundred LED lights in comparison to 51 LED lights from the other blacklights on this list.
The black light for finding pet urine should have great light intensity. The more intense the black light is, the brighter the pet urine will glow and makes it easier for you to find.
The strength of the UV lights will indicate how powerful the black light bulb is. Manufacturers usually highlight that in their products so it’s easy for you to check for a UV blacklight flashlight.
When it comes to intensity the KOBRA UV Blacklight still holds the top spot. One hundred LED lights provide more light intensity if you compare it to the other blacklights who only have 51 LED lights.
UV Light Wavelength
The light wavelength of flashlights normally ranges from 390 nm or 400 nm. However, higher wavelengths aren’t ideal for cat urine as they are too close to being visible light. By using UV light, you can get the color of the shortest wavelength of visible light.
Lower wavelength UV bulbs (up to 395nm) are less visible, but do a better job at causing fluorescent objects to glow. This kind of light is perfect for glow parties where body paints are used and are also better at revealing things like cat pee and certain kinds of insects.
All of the black lights on this list have a similar wavelength of 395nm so you can choose whatever you want. If you don’t need a lot of the fluorescence effect, you may go ahead with higher wavelength blacklights.
If you’re exposed too much to harmful light, it can damage your eyes. If you have a larger area to use your cat urine detector, then you will be exposed longer. In order to avoid such risks, look for a pet urine detector that also offers protective glasses or goggles.
The goggles will protect your eyes and also make it easier for you to see the pet urine stains clearly. It will make it easier to find cat urine or pet stains no matter where.
Unfortunately, no single product on this list offers protective goggles as a freebie. You will find it similar to most other products as well. You might have to buy them separately or spend more to get a deal.
Since UV flashlights come in various sizes and shapes, it’s vital that you purchase one depending on your intended usage. Aside from functionality, portability is the key for conveniently detecting pet urine stains. Handheld flashlights allow you to easily check your home, making sure you can shine light in corners or under furniture.
Nothing on this list is as portable as the Infray Pen Black Light. It’s super thin if you place it side by side with the other black lights on this list. You can easily fit it in your pocket or bag and still have extra space.
How Blacklights Make Things Glow and Spot Cat Urine
Blacklight is a light with a higher frequency than visible violet light. Hence, blacklight is invisible to the naked eye. Cat urine is virtually undetectable by the human eye, although you can quickly spot it using a blacklight.
UV light can make cat urine glow in the dark. Pet urine, blood, vomit, and even cleaning supplies contain phosphorous, which glows yellowish-green when it comes in contact with oxygen. However, the light from additional energy makes the chemical reaction strong and more evident.
Depending on the number of urine stains, it may look like a spot, drip, splatter, or puddle. A UV flashlight can detect cat urine and stains on various surfaces, such as floors, walls, and furniture. This is why it’s advisable to use a blacklight in complete darkness.
The video below in plain terms explains how blacklight makes things glow.
How to Use UV Blacklight to Find Cat Pee
Once you’ve decided what blacklight flashlight you prefer, it’s time to learn how to use it. Your cat might have left a lot of pet urine all over the place so knowing a few tips will make the work easier for you.
- Wait it out until the night: if you’re not in a hurry, it’s easier for you to wait until it gets dark to use the cat urine detector. This way, there will be no other light distractions so it will be easier to spot the stains.
- Search the suspicious area first: you’re probably familiar with where in your house the strong odor is. That is your lead on where you should start. You might have to sweep back and forth to spot the stain. This should be easy since you narrowed down your search area.
- Spot glowing yellow or green stains: when the UV flashlight shines into pee, the stain should emit a glow. The stain might look like a puddle, drips, splatter, or spots. This is important because there are also other things that glow on the UV flashlight. Urine detection is something you should practice to differentiate them.
- Don’t stop at 1 stain: cats can pee on various areas and they might have done it a lot in your place. Don’t just stop at finding the 1 big pee stain. Your cat might have peed on to something that it shouldn’t have.
- Marking the stain: it might be hard for you to note where exactly is the stain, so you should mark it with tape. Cats often come back to these spots if left unchecked so it’s better you have them already marked to make it easier to spot them the next time.
Finding Pet Urine Without a Blacklight
Finding pet stains in the house without a blacklight can be tiresome. You have to rely on your sense of smell and visual marks left by your pet to spot the stains.
The task is doable, however, you will probably have to spend a lot of time especially if it’s located in a narrow space. That’s why it’s recommended you use a blacklight specifically designed to find cat urine stains.
Cleaning Up Pet Urine
Now that you’ve spotted the stains all over your house, it’s time to clean them up. Regular cleaning products will do or baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide.
However, if you really want to remove all traces of the stain along with the smell, you may want to use enzymatic cleaners. They get rid of the smell permanently so cats won’t go back to the same spot to pee again.
Just spray it on the stain spot and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. After that, blot the area and let it dry. It should smell fresh afterward.
Frequently Asked Questions
These questions are all related to urine detection and black light pet urine detector
What is a Cat Urine Blacklight Detector?
Cat Urine Blacklight Detector or known as black light is a light with a higher frequency compared to visible violet light.
Cat pee or pet urine is often invisible to your eyes yet will have an odor that never goes away. What’s worse is that your pet smells the spot and will continue to pee there.
This is where the urine detector comes in. The pet urine detector will help you find the invisible stains so you can clean them up and eliminate the smell.
How Does the Cat Urine Blacklight Detector Work?
Blacklight is invisible to the human eye. However, a urine detector emits light when you shine it on a specific substance. This makes urine glow. Cat pee or pet stains, for example, will shine fluorescent green or yellow under the black light.
Is a Pet Urine Detector Easy to Use?
A pet urine detector is easy to use. Just follow the instructions on its manual and direct it towards the suspected stain and the pet urine detector will spot the glowing stains if there are any for you to clean.
Is UV Blacklight Safe?
UV blacklight is safe as long as you don’t use it for a prolonged amount of time. They can emit harmful rays that will lead to skin and eye problems.
That’s why it’s important to have a plan ready on where to search when using them. It’s also necessary to wear safety precautions such as UV protection googles.
There are far more cat urine detector products on sale at stores than you’ll ever be able to sort out to perfection. Our selection of the best cat urine detector for spotting cat urine, stains, and other fluids should narrow down the options for cleaning your home.
And if you’re going to try something outside of these UV flashlights, you can always follow the buying guide we have laid out here.