If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Black light bulbs are often used on Halloween and festivals. They provide glow-in-the-dark properties as well as neon lighting. If you’re planning to get one, you can pick from the best blacklight bulb on this list based on your needs.
- Our Top Blacklight Bulb Reviews
- Best Black Light Bulb Review
- Types of Black Light Bulbs
- Features to Consider for Black Light Bulbs
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Blacklight Bulb Reviews
Blacklights are bluish or purplish ultraviolet lights, known primarily for their use in concerts and parties, where their glow effect contributes to an excitable atmosphere.
Their rays can cause objects with fluorescence to shine in the dark. The rays that blacklight emits means that they are suitable for making glow in the dark body paints, and for spotting otherwise invisible insects and pet urine stains.
Regardless of the purpose for which you’re getting a black light, you’ll want to buy the best bulbs that your budget can get.
The quality of bulbs you’ll find on sale at the stores will vary widely.
It’s important to know what makes a good blacklight lighting and how to identify one. This article should help you sort this out.
However, if you’re put off by the extensive range of best black light options you have to choose from, we’ve compiled a list of the best black light bulbs you could choose from.
Best Black Light Bulb Review
1. Onforu 7W A19 E26 UV LED BlackLight Bulb
- Powerful Blacklight Bulbs: With 16 high-quality ultraviolet LEDs and 270 degree wide beam angle,...
- Safe Use: With 385-400nm wavelength, this UV reactive black lights is UVA level, which can be...
- Fluorescent Reactive: Ideal for illuminating most reactive pigments, paints and dyes with black...
This premium quality product takes the globular shape similar to regular light bulbs. But you can tell that it’s different from its purple color.
Within this protective glass sits 16 LEDs, which glow with UV light when the lighting is switched on.
It also has a 270-degree wide beam angle for casting bright light to neon glow objects.
This bulb isn’t heavy-duty unlike your regular lighting; it takes in just 7W of power supply but gives a fair amount of brightness in return. It has the lowest energy consumption among the products on this list.
If your body paint has fluorescence, it should glow in the dark when it comes under this lighting.
You can use this product at your indoor Halloween, Christmas, or other kinds of parties, as well as in aquariums or for body art photo-shoots.
The manufacturer puts the product’s lifespan at about 50,000 hours- a mark you could reach with it if you’re using it for a few hours a day and being careful with it as you do so.
Overall, it’s a great product that you can use for almost anything related to black-lighting. Its low wattage will save you a lot in power supply. When it comes to efficiency this product is better than most of its competitors.
2. Onforu 15W BR30 E26 UV LED Bulbs
- POWERFUL UV BLACKLIGHT BULBS: Each 15W LED UV blacklight bulbs with 34 ultraviolet LEDs, 120-degree...
- FLUORESCENT REACTIVE: Liven up the party atmosphere or decorate for the holidays.Perfect for...
- SAFE & Energy Saving bulbs: Wavelength: 385-400nm, A level. Working Voltage: AC100-240. Using...
The Onforu BR30 model isn’t very different from the Onforu 7W, except in at least two respects.
First, this one has a shuttlecock-like shape, with the bulb taking a flatter form at the top.
This easy to install product has UVA levels of about 380 nm to 400 nm that is well within human safety range.
Then there’s also the fact that it consumes more power, precisely about 15W.
All the other features are intact; its wavelength is the same as the Onforu 7W. It’s safe enough for human use while maintaining some ability to cause fluorescent objects to glow.
All this comes from 34 UV LED fixed inside the purplish bulb. The product itself has a 120-degree beam, which lets it illuminate a large area.
It’s also easy to install; a quick wriggle should fit it into an E26 socket. When you switch on the power switch, it gives a cool bluish shine.
If the product manual is correct, this one should last you a cumulative 50,000 hours.
Overall, this product has the same qualities as the Onforu 7W. However, this one consumes more power compared to the Onforu 7W over 50,000 hours.
3. SHPODA 3 PACK 9W UV LED Blacklights Bulb
- Product parameters: 9W black lights bulb with 12 LEDs, A19 E26 standard, 385-400nm, Working Voltage:...
- SAFE & ENERGY: safe for eyes, skins of human. wide range of illumination, lower energy consumption...
- EASY TO USE: Simply screw the UV bulb into an empty light lamp or socket. Turn on your fixture's...
This product has twelve ultraviolet LEDs sitting inside of it.
When you power it on, these fixtures emit a slightly cool but bright light. The SHPODA 9W has a 270-degree beaming angle, it’s able to take care of a sizeable room.
The energy efficiency of this product is widely attested. It’s not as good as Onforu 7W at energy-efficiency, however, it is better compared to most products on this list.
Reviews note that it doesn’t heat up like older fluorescent types.
It is also safer; the primary safety concern with LEDs is the wavelength they represent, but this one is about 380 nm to 400 nm, well within the usable range.
Regular uses include an indoor birthday party, Halloween, Christmas parties, aquariums, and body art.
This product has a similar lifespan as the other two products above which is estimated at 50,000 hours.
4. KINGBO 36W LED UV Light
- ►【New High Power LED Black light Bulb】Design with 18pcs 2watt high power LEDs, 120 degree...
- ►【Advanced Spectrum】395-400nm wavelength lens leds blacklight bulb fixture, perfect for glow...
- ►【Better Heat Dissipation】Build with new upgraded PAR38 aluminum cooling heat body, keep good...
Kingbo takes a different tack with its design.
Instead of one plastic or glass globe covering the light-emitting LEDs, it has a flat circular aluminum alloy surface punctuated by LED beads. It looks similar to a flashlight.
Each of these 18 beads consumes 2W of power and gives out an impressive amount of illumination in return.
The UVA level of this UV lighting is about 395nm to 400 nm. It’s both safe for human skin and great for decorating a Halloween party or lighting up your aquarium.
A 120-degree beam angle allows it to spread its shine across the room that you want to use the light similar to the Onforu 15W.
Its aluminum alloy surface help in heat dissipation at a fast rate. It ensures that it doesn’t scorch even after a full day’s use or throughout the whole party time. This heat dissipation is a unique feature of this product since LEDs are known to produce not much heat.
With proper use, the Kingbo UV light could remain functional for as long as a decade. You can attach it to a fixture when not in use for a party, for glowing in your body, or for your paint.
5. LeMeng LED BlackLights Bulb
- 【9W Black Light Bulb】Not Dimmable. AC 120volt LED Black Lights Bulb 9W are energy-efficient...
- 【UVA Level 395-400nm】Emiting highly-saturated, deeply-intense uv black light,perfect for...
- 【You Have More Choices】You can easily buy 9W red/ green/ blue/ yellow amber/ pink/ blacklight...
Reviews of this product are generally positive. It’s a bright black light, consumes 11W of power, and works well for indoor uses.
About 30 LEDs located inside of the globe produce the light when it’s turned on. One package contains two of these bulbs.
LeMeng’s light wavelength is about 385nm to 400nm, about similar to many indoor uv black light led.
The bases are designed to fit into E26 sockets.
Installation is pretty easy; screw them into the socket, and they should hold up well.
When switched on, they’ll shine at a 270-degree wide beam angle, enveloping the area around them in their light.
Your glow parties should come alive with this blacklight bulb; it brings the best out of fluorescent paints and objects.
On a general note, it functions just fine for parties, bars, and reception halls.
What’s more, you don’t have to worry about heat building up in and around it. It sheds whatever heat it produces rather well, and doesn’t get too hot to touch.
6. Sunlite 05645-SU CFL, Spiral Black light
- CFL BLACK LIGHT (BLB) - The Sunlite 20 watt blacklight bulb (BLB) emits ultraviolet (UV-A) light at...
- FESTIVE LIGHTING - Ideal for creating a glow effect with colors like true white and neon hues for...
- VERIFY AND DETECT - Also great for verifying security features on ID cards and currency. Use to...
Three black spiral bulbs are contained in one package of this product. The fluorescent bulbs have a design that helps them to illuminate surfaces close to them, but not for extensive areas.
The wavelength of this bulb is about 463nm, and it emits a blue glow that you would expect of a lower wavelength blacklight.
You can use these bulbs at parties, where their shine can contribute to a perfect festive atmosphere.
They can also be used to detect security features on currency notes, passports, paint art, and other documents.
It’s great for detecting pet urine stains on the surface of curtains and carpets, as well as insects with florescence.
If you’re looking for something that works similar to your older incandescent bulb, this Sunlite bulb does the job pretty well.
All you need to do is unscrew the old bulb from the socket and screw in the new one (the Sunlite bulb).They could last you up to seven years long, assuming you use them for three hours every day.
7. Bluex 2 Pack BlueX CFL UV Black Bulb
- Blacklight Bulbs. rays from ultraviolet Blacklight Bulbs cast a beautiful glow when directed at...
- Decorative Bulbs. Perfect for use at homes, night clubs, bars and reception halls, these Bluex Bulbs...
- Energy Saving Bulb. Enjoy soft lighting and save money on electric bills at the same time. A perfect...
Bluex has two black spiral bulbs in one package. They are built for local lighting and are fit for exclusive art shows, where they could illuminate individual art objects.
These bulbs are also useful for authenticating things with built-in fluorescent markers, like ID cards and money.
The same neon glow makes them an excellent choice for photo shoots of decorative body art and neon glow parties. Other occasions that you can use include Halloween, Christmas, and birthday parties.
It saves a good deal of energy compared to the older incandescent bulbs; it consumes 24W of power, but gives the same shine as you would expect in a 100W incandescent light.
That means a few bucks saved on your electricity bills. If you’re convinced of its quality and would want it to replace your older bulb, you can screw it into a vacant E26 socket.
The cumulative lifespan of the Bluex bulb is 10,000 hours long.
Types of Black Light Bulbs
A fluorescent blacklight bulb isn’t very different from the regular fluorescent bulb. The light is generated by electricity that goes through a glass tube containing some gas and a little mercury.
But while regular light is usually visible, the ultraviolet light emitted by the energized mercury atoms is not.
The visible blacklight seen from fluorescent black lighting is given off by a phosphor coating.
This coating, which covers the inner surface of the tube, converts the energy of mercury atoms into visible light.
Fluorescent uv black light bulbs are shaped as tubes or spirals.
Incandescent Black Light Bulb
Incandescent black light bulbs work like ordinary incandescent light, except for the filters, which collects most of the light from the bulb’s filament.
However, it doesn’t absorb the less harmful UV rays. It lets this go beyond its filter to shine, along with a little visible light.
LED Black Light Bulb
Some Light Emitting Diode (LED) bulbs can also give off UV light. The blacklights they produce tend to be of a wavelength higher than 380nm, often around the 390nm to 410nm range.
This lighting typically gives off the least amount of heat of the types reviewed.
Features to Consider for Black Light Bulbs
You should know some of the features you want for the best black light for every occasion whether it be Halloween, bodypaint, or glow party.
- Size: A short-range light bulb is okay for bodypaint use or for a small glow party. However, if you’re buying it for long-range use for large halls instead of a glow party, or outdoor ranges, you would need the light range to be higher than normal.
- Light Intensity: the intensity of the light should be in the normal range. You don’t want it as higher than average compared to normal light like a flashlight.
- Light Fixture: Light fixtures depend on the type of lighting and how easy it is to be fixed onto a circuit. Blacklight LED can be fixed onto a socket. However, there are other forms of fixtures available to choose from as well. Some of these lighting fixtures are stripes, series, and a few hand-held direct lightings as well. It depends on you what fixture is best for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the Best Type of Black Light?
As we’ve explained, blacklight technologies include LED, fluorescent, and incandescent bulbs.
You can refer to the section blacklight types at the beginning of this article to get more information on this.
It’s left to the user to determine which the best UV lighting technology is for them.
LED is favored for its energy-saving and because it lasts longer than the others.
It also doesn’t emit as much heat. Enthusiasts of fluorescent UV light say it’s a ‘truer’ uv blacklight than most UV LED black light options.
They point to its wavelength, which generally lies more firmly within UV blacklight territory (averaging around 370nm).
What Kind of Black Light Makes Objects Glow?
The neon glow of blacklights depends on their wavelength.
Blacklights within the 350nm to 400nm band should cause things with fluorescence to glow in the dark.
This includes fluorescent body paints and posters, authentication markers on ID cards and paper currencies, dog or cat urine stains on carpets or curtains, and creatures like scorpions and armyworms.
Fluorescent black light bulbs tend to do better at this because they’re on the middle to lower end of the wavelength.
Some LEDs are also fairly good at this as well. But note that you may not get the desired effect if the black light’s wavelength is closer to the upper edge of the UV light spectrum.
Blacklights can be an essential tool; you only need to look at the many uses to which you can deploy them to understand this. There are a lot of them on sale, and it can be hard to tell which ones are the best for our purposes.
Hopefully, this makes purchasing a black light much easier for you.